Judge rejects Duggar’s request for a new trial

Federal Judge Timothy L. Brooks has dismissed former reality TV star Josh Duggar who was seeking a new trial after being convicted of possession of child pornography.

The judge decided on Tuesday that he would not allow the acquittal or the new trial sought by defense attorneys, KNWA reported.

A 29-page decision was released after Duggar’s lawyers tried to argue for an acquittal or a new trial due to what they say was the government’s lack of timely disclosure of the charges. evidence and the lack of evidence that Duggar actually viewed child pornography.

Brooks said in his filing in federal court for the Western District of Arkansas that none of the arguments were valid, according to the local news outlet.

“There is ample evidence that he viewed the child pornography images that had been downloaded to his work computer,” the judge said.

The other argument regarding the evidence was also dismissed as the judge explained that the evidence in question had been dismissed anyway.

“The Court finds that the screenshots in question were not material to the defense,” he wrote.

“Based on the Court’s consideration of the trial evidence above, Mr. Duggar’s argument for acquittal is without merit. There was substantial evidence presented at trial to persuade a reasonable jury that Mr. Duggar was physically present during the conduct of the offense and that he had the men to commit these crimes,” the judge wrote.

The decision came a day before Duggar was due to be sentenced for his child pornography conviction in December 2021, KNWA noted.

The star of TLC’s “19 Kids and Counting” was arrested in April 2021.

In March, he asked for a postponement of his sentencing to have time “to research additional information and documents” and said it was difficult to schedule meetings due to COVID-19.

For the latest news, weather, sports and streaming videos, head to The Hill.

Comments are closed.